Re: [LUG] BT internet problem..

Samuel Tarling wrote:
Hey everyone, a massively Linux unrelated problem, just wondering if
anyone can help
I've got BT broadband, meant to be getting 1MB, I normally get
~500kb/s but the last few days, on my XP and Linux machine, it has
gone down to ~15kb/s but the BT HomeHub is saying its still getting
900kb/s (pah, it would wouldn't it..)

Any help at all would be amazing, bearing in mind I've tried changing
WiFi channels...

Sam
First of all try a network cable to rule out the wireless. Then maybe look at fiddling with your wiring. Is the hub connected to the Master phone socket (usually the first socket that comes in to the house). If you have an NTE5 socket (see here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/bt-master-socket.html) then you can unscrew the front of the socket, you'll see a test socket behind that, try plugging the router into that to see if it improves it.

This guide might help too...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/troubleshooting.html

Depending if you're on the 'Max' ADSL (i.e. up to 8 Meg rather than 1 Meg fixed) then it might be down to the Bras profile (I've had this, got a stuck Bras profile and went from 7 Meg down to about 2 Meg).

Again this may help: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

It could also be related to the bad weather we've been having too, or poor service from BT (it's possible, I went from nearly 8 Meg during the day on Enta to really poor speeds on BT Broadband).

Anyway, hope this helps. The ThinkBroadband.com forums are a good place to check, they have a dedicated BT Broadband forum where some of the BT staff help out with things, now if you get any sense out of them is a different thing all together (I wouldn't personally touch BT with a 10ft barge pole, I'd rather eat my own ears than get BT Broadband again).

Note: This is BT Broadband from BT Retail I'm on about, not general broadband over a BT line (which many other quality ISPs provide). Unfortunately sometimes it's considered broadband over a BT line = BT Broadband, thankfully that isn't the case.

Rob