Re: [LUG] Question..

Quoting Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I was going through an online examy/trainingy thing this evening and was
presented with this..

In a star topology, what happens when a workstation loses its physical
connection to another device?
A) The ring is broken, so no devices can communicate
B) Only that workstation loses its ability to communicate
C) That workstation and the device it's connected to lose communication
with the rest of the network.
D) No devices can communicate because there are now two unterminated
network segments

I got it wrong with an answer of "C".. Can anyone explain to me why this
might be ??

PRN--PC----LAN----PC--PRN

PRN--PC-  -LAN----PC--PRN

umm.. the printer and pc both loose network !!

halp !! (or should I log a bug report ?)

Neil

Hmmm, well looking at the diagram above I'm guessing the printer is attached to the PC locally, and possibly shared on the network rather than being a dedicated network printer (in which would be connected to the network itself), so I'd say C, the PC still connected to the LAN wouldn't be able to connect to the disconnected PC, or the printer hanging off it.

Not a great diagram if you ask me, if I was drawing a diagram like that, I'd call the PCs - PC1, PC2 etc and the printers, PRN1 and PRN2.

In ASCII I guess I'd do it like this...

PRN1--PC1-  -LAN----PC2--PRN2

So, PC2 wouldn't be able to connect to PC1 or PRN1 which is attached to PC1.

Rob