Re: [LUG] OT: Snow was Why don't they learn

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 20:18 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> bas wrote:
> >
> > love the idea of global warming, just not
> > the extreme cold winter bit !
>
> I'm not sure you've quite got the idea of what is expected to happen
> when the globe (or its surface at least) warms a few degrees.
>
> The climatologists (at UKMO at least) believe that any warming will be
> greater than any cooling caused by disruption to the Gulf stream,
> although they don't think the Gulf stream will be disrupted either at
> least not in the medium term. My recollection of where I heard this is
> vague, I think it was the Met Office Youtube channel, interview with
> Professor Slingo.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTVxzhjbvQ
>
> My understanding of the Gulf stream causes was wrong, apparently the
> major driving factor is the trade winds, and the mid-latitude
> westerlies, and shape of North America, none of which are going to
> change (hopefully) in the time scales of interest (and various
> conservation laws of physics, which hopefully aren't going to change any
> time soon either?!). I thought the salinity changes causes by sea ice
> formation were more important than they are, they are important but
> probably on much longer time scales.
>
> On the other hand if you remember the winter of 1963, then you are
> probably at least a decade older than me, and so presumably will be
> surprised if you are still around in 2050.

What I found interesting was the recent British Antarctic Survey Ice
Dome C data for the last 800000 years.

It shows that every inter-glaciation temperature spike for the past 500k
years has gone to around 5degC above present.

It would be interesting to know whether the predicted anthropogenic
2-3degC rise is in addition to the 5degC we can expect as a result of
solar activity, or whether the 2-3deg is the net effect of solar
activity, greenhouse gas emissions and particulate emissions reducing
solar absorption.

Hmmmm