Re: [LUG] Permanently sharing a USB disk ...

Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:
There is no UUID for the device.

No the device file name is made up by the kernel - it doesn't exist in
the real world, it isn't for example written as part of the meta data of
the file system.

Use UUID or LABEL for the "filesystem" or "partition" (not device).

What is the USB device? What is the file system on it?
Its a 400G maxtor drive -came with NTFS - will need it for MS alas!
when you say use UUID - there isnt one even after its mounted. It exists
as /dev/sdb1 (or the partition does) and this may change if another device is added so is not safe. I've just given it a label and it NOW has a UUID that shows up under blkid so I'll try with that - I wonder if thats a bug in blkid not to show it?
Tom te tom te tom
Did you try Google?