Re: [LUG] Lighthouse Music Hub, Paignton! - PC kit wanted

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

I have asked Mark (lighthouse music hub) what sort of kit then need, and
it seems they will take anything,  I just wondered if anyone had any kit
they no longer needed,  even if its old network cable, cat 5 plugs,
right up to cases, etc.

I'll have a look and see what I have, I maybe able to donate something.
Its better than them being put in a skip,  and if they work and in the
way they can be given a new home.

I know on occasion lug members have posted they have kit to give away,
so if anyone has anything perhaps.

If anyone can help please let me know it looks.  I have also asked if
they are going down the ltsp or desktop route.

I guess the latter makes life easier,  I have stacks of PC100 + PC66
memory here, if PC's are quite old.
What sort of min RAM is recommended for LTSP clients.?
I have a feeling they will work with minimal ram (i.e. about 32MB) as long as they have some swap but they will run a tad slowly. The Exwick LTSP clients have about 256MB each.

The main requirement for memory on LTSP installations is the actual server, I seem to remember it being a minimum of 512MB + 64MB for each client. I've recently installed an LTSP server running Ubuntu 9.10 for a client which is running in a VM on an Opteron 1352 (Quad Core 2.1Ghz) and gave it 1 virtual CPU and 1GB Ram and it runs reasonably well. Of course it really depends what they want to do and how many clients they want.

Rob

Rob