Re: [LUG] Segmentation fault - how should i fix this?

Sam Grabham wrote:

> I don't really want to risk rebooting , in case it doesn't come back up
> again.
>
> I would like to if possible to cluster this box.

Urm you can't get the "ls" command to work reliably on it, and you are
thinking of clustering it. I think cart and horses need rearranging here.

What else does it do beside routing, as it looks over specced for a
router unless the leased line is something fantastic.

Obviously a lot of clustering issues are determined by acceptable downtime.

But I'm skeptical of the benefits for most folk.

Typically clustering is quite complex, and risks introducing new failure
modes, so you need to be absolutely sure of the design and hardware
requirements before trying to do this sort of thing. Otherwise you'll
end up with lower, not higher reliability.

Heck I have Linux boxes acting as routers for years on end, everything
sits in RAM, the disks don't spin, and they usually fail when one of the
fans wears out. In one case the disk did fail, but nothing noticed till
the next planned service point, when shutdown caused a panic.

If it is only routing traffic, than one can set up routers in parallel,
such that if one fails the other routes its packets with no clustering
technology - just routing algorithms. But again it all depends on
details of the network configuration. Failing that you could fail the IP
address between the two, and provide routing using the virtual IP address.

So the question should be "what does it do?" "What is acceptable down
time (planned and unplanned)" and work from there.