Re: [LUG] MS getting a hammering: was OT- Cheap Laptop

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 10:18 +0000, tom wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
> > It's all about marketing, information, etc, if anything this is a good
> > incentive for us as a linux user group to get together and orgaise how
> > we are going to combat all of this....
> Alas.. its not just about marketing - availability is the MAJOR problem-
> MS can encourage most people in the supply chain to avoid getting
> involved with Arm/netbooks , or stick W7 on them so they run like dogs
> and cost 30% more than they should.

I agree with this. This time last year I walked into PC World and had a
choice of Linux based netbooks. When I took my netbook back to PC World
last week, because I thought it had a fault (it didn't), there were
none, everything was either Win XP or Win 7. It seems such a shame.

Netbooks also seem to have got more expensive at the same time.

I even saw Linux based machines in ASDA and Tesco (IIRC) last year but
nothing this year. Not a sausage.

This seems doubly odd to me since the distros have caught up with the
netbooks. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is really nice so why isn't it in the
shops? I run mine with some of the compiz effects and it looks great.
Stick an AAO running UNR for £199 next to other netbooks in PC World and
it looks so swish I don't see why it wouldn't sell.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.