Re: [LUG] Problems with Ubuntu 9.10

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 17:13 +0000, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Was going to reinstall Ubuntu on her desktop and before going for
> installation decided to run the CD as a live CD first and had the
> following problems
>
> 1/ If I left the CD in and accepted all defaults then I was left with a
> grey screen
Have you got the old Xorg.conf file from the previous install?
when you get to the grey screen do a "Ctrl Alt F1" and login at the
prompt.
Xserver is still running but broke

find the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and use vi or vim or whatever   to make
it look like this extract.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 64.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

then use startx at the commad line ( you will need to remove lock file
first)

This works on most LCD screens for me.

> 2/ If I select either noapic or select "safe display" drivers then I got
> an orange working screen but could not run firefox or software update. But from a
> terminal I could ping www.google.com
>
> Her desktop is a dual boot with windows xp, and I have to keep windows
> xp to update various other electronic devices
>
> When I check out the ubuntu forums, there appears to be a bug with nvidia drivers
> and there is also a warning with booting wth grub2 with more than 2 operating
> systems
>
> Question
>
> 1/ Any suggestions on how I can get the Live CD working?
>
> 2/ Any suggestions on how I should go about upgrading ubuntu, once the
> Live CD works? In particular should I use the install ubuntu option from
> the desktop or should I install from the mini.iso (I presume the latter)
>
> 3/ Has anyone had any trouble with upgrading to 9.10 with a dual boot
>
> 4/ (PS am also sorely tempted to switch her to debian and install KDE)
>
> any assistance gratefully received

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved repressed(possibly!Definitely!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386