Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:59:41 -0000, John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our granddaughter is partially sighted so a netbook will not suit her.

I suppose a couple of hundred pounds would seem reasonable.

How bad is it?

Is a laptop really a suitable option? As I see it, laptops in that price range are netbooks, 2nd hand or have fallen off the back of a lorry. Maybe it's just me but I don't think options 2 and 3 are very good. It's not like you can look at a computer and see that it has 3 years of life left in it. It could break on boxing day.

If she needs a large screen then I think a desktop will be much more cost effective.

You could get something along these lines:
Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, HDMI, nVidia GeForce 9400 ION, WIFI, Linux £144.99inc vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

ViewSonic VA2216W TFT Monitor 22" 1680 x 1050 300 cd/m2 2000:1 (dynamic) 5ms 16:9 VGA £102.68inc vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136897

And delivery within 5 days is free (£11 for next day)

You could shave a bit off and go for a smaller monitor (cheapest ebuyer have is 16" TFT or 17" CRT for £70) but personally I thought that £100 for 22" is a pretty good.

Both products seem to have good reviews and I've heard that nvidia ion is a pretty nice setup for a low cost PC. Best of all- comes with linux!