Re: [LUG] Gmail SMTP failin

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:56:42 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Grant,

[16:53:37] ESMTP< 250 PIPELINING
** SMTP AUTH not available

To my untutored eye it looks as though you're not sending the right info
to start an SMTP AUTH session.  So;

I'm fairly sure this warning is because Gmail didn't advertise AUTH when it was advertising PIPELINING and other functions.

The swak tool gives the same warning with Google and other sites that don't advertise AUTH before TLS is established. So I assume is using the same SMTP code base.

e.g.

My server offers AUTH PLAIN over an unencrypted connection (I don't use it but I could - useful for debugging) so when you connect you see a "250-AUTH PLAIN" message.

telnet technocool.net 25
Trying 212.24.80.3...
Connected to technocool.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.technocool.net ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
ehlo test
250-mail.technocool.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

When you connect to Google you only see "AUTH PLAIN" advertised if you connect using SSL to the SMTPS or TLS submission ports. If you use TLS AUTH isn't advertised as the channel isn't yet encrypted and passwords would flow in plain text (if using AUTH PLAIN).

 Simon