Re: [LUG] Software RAID-1 on USB drives

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

Hi all,

Just a quick "what if" question...

2 USB drives where periodically rsync is run to duplicate drive 1 onto
drive 2.  Drive 1 is static, drive 2 (should) get removed every evening
and taken off-site.

If the two drives were setup in a software-based RAID-1 (mirror)
configuration, would they automatically reconcile any differences when
drive 2 was re-attached?  If not, how can differences between two
software RAID-0 drives be reconciled?  Is there a command that initiate
the reconciliation?  Can this be added to a udev rule so that when
drive 2 is re-attached the reconciliation happens automatically?

It won't happen automatically.

And also I don't use udev myself, so don't know how it all ties into this, however I have built many (100's) of servers with Linux s/w RAID, so ...

You can just unplug a drive. The system will get upset, print lots of warnings, etc. but it should be fine. That's what it was intended for, afterall.

You can keep it happier if you issue the right commands though:

  mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb
  mdadm /dev/md0 --remove /dev/sdb

then unplug it.

To get it back in, plug it in, then

  mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb

but that's without udev. I have absoltuely no idea what udev, hotplug, etc. does with s/w RAID devices.

Personally I'd stick with the rsync method.

Gordon