Re: [LUG] Best place to buy netbook when leaving the country

Chronoppolis wrote:
Hello,

quick question, i am travelling back to new zealand in a month until next year and was thinking of buying a laptop before i left depending on if i could claim back my VAT. I have an inkling that this requires the purchasing of the netbook from particular VAT registered dealers? am i correct in this understanding and if so who in your opinion would be best? otherwise anyone know of a particularly good price on a samsung nc10 n110 or asus one (i think its what its called?). these are the ones i like. Well my favourite to date was the asus s101 which i thought was gorgeous and if i could get at a good price definitely would.

thanks Dan

If I remember correctly (from when I worked in a computer shop) you just purchased the item from any VAT registered supplier and then you could keep the receipt and claim back the VAT from customs and excise. I can't remember exactly the process, but I'm pretty certain the store itself didn't need to do anything specific. You might be worth looking at the HMRC web site. I'm not sure if it's possibly something you can claim back when going through customs.

Rob