[LUG] problems with 1.5TB drive

I got a new 1.5TB sata drive (samsung I think). The drive is detected by my sata controller on boot and /dev/sdb appears. So far so good.

First alarm bell is that /dev/sdb1 doesn't exist and i was under the impression that drives normally come preformatted these days, or at least with a partition table.

cfdisk and fdisk complain that they can't seek on the drive.
parted complains that the label /dev/sdb isn't recognised.
hexdump -C -n 100 /dev/sdb just reports lots of zeros
echo 1 > /dev/sdb complained it couldn't write

I know the sata controller card works fine because I have a 1TB drive connected to it and I can use that fine.
I've switched over the cables and ports so i know they're fine.

My question is: is there a size limit between 1TB and 1.5TB that I've never heard of before or is the drive just DOA?