Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

Dave Foxcroft wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

Just seen this on The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/08/vm_cornwall/

It seems that Virgin Media are also trialling fibre to the cabinet in Higher Pill, Saltash.

Might be of some interest to some of the folks in Cornwall. It seems that Virgin have had another company lay some fibre (presumably from the exchange to the cabinet) and Virgin will be installing VDSL2+ to give up to 50Mbit/sec broadband.

Not only would this mean faster speeds, but also the possibility of getting TV services from Virgin too.

Maybe this might mean that long term, Virgin may start to expand their network using technology other than cable and actually offer some competition to BT in non-cable areas.

Rob

Virgin Media (ex telewest) actually use a lot of Fibre - RSS <-> RSS and RSS<->headend for both telco and CATV so it is nothing new to them (there is tons of the stuff in and around Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay) - Lots of businesses use it as well as educational establishments - Plymouth Uni being one.

It finishes at Saltash - you can even see some of it on the bridge where it crosses into Cornwall.

I'm not sure if they do now but VM used to use a Bristol based Telco company (Avonline PLC) for most of their fibre installs - most telco too.

Dave

According to the article they are using a company called Vtesse Networks.

I do wonder if these trials are successful if Virgin will roll it out to areas inbetween their cable networks. In Devon for instance off the top of my head I'm thinking Teignmouth, Dawlish and maybe Starcross. I guess it all depends on the cost to install the fibre and equipment and if they would actually make they money back. Presumably though they'd be able to offer Phone, TV and Broadband over the phone line which may make it more cost effective?

Rob