Re: [LUG] Filing HMRC Tax Returns using Linux?

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:31:22 +0100
John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have used TaxCalc for a number of years and find it accurate and
> relatively easy to use.

But error prone. I used it for years too, until I realised it was
getting things wrong.

> Unfortunately it does not come in a Linux version :-(.
> I am hesitant to use the HMRC online self assessment.

It's actually more reliable than TaxCalc *and* you can do it a lot
earlier than TaxCalc are able to get a new version out to you. In terms
of getting the July payment on account correct, being able to get the
return in before the end of May is very, very useful. TaxCalc had a
horrible history of getting this completely wrong in a couple of
releases. I'd never trust it again.

--

Neil Williams