Re: [LUG] recomend a broudband provider for students in bournmouth

Chronoppolis wrote:
Hi there

My partner is in boscombe bournmouth studying to become a chiropractor and we have to get her internet access into her house so she can waist her time watching youtube :) the cost will be shared between her and her friend but they want the best value for money and costing about 20 pounds a month.

Suggestions?

Dan
If you can give us a postcode then we might be able to better advise.

I don't know Bournemouth that well to be honest, I believe there is an ongoing project to install fibre to some premises via the sewers but I believe no ISP has been signed up to offer a service to home users yet.

You could look at Virgin Media cable if they are in the area. Virgin do have some good deals on at the moment (10 Meg for £5 a month for 3 months, then £14 a month after that or 20 Meg for £10 a month for 3 months and then £20 a month after that). These prices do however require you to take on a Virgin phone line (land line) for £11 a month.

You do get a free wireless router with that, and if you go for the phone and broadband, you get basic TV free (which is pretty much what you get on Freeview but with also some on-demand services such as BBC iPlayer and ITV Player which I find comes in handy).

If they didn't want a phone line then they'd be looking at £15 a month for 3 months, then £20 a month after that or £25 a month for 3 months then £30 a month after that for 20 Meg.

Other than Virgin, they could look at O2. Assuming they are connected to an exchange that O2 have installed LLU kit then they can get broadband from £12.23 a month for up to 8 Meg, £14.68 for up to 20 Meg, or £22.02 a month for up to 20 Meg premium broadband. Again these include a wireless router. Speeds are dependent though on line length and quality (since it's ADSL) and they would need a BT phone line (IIRC about £11 a month).

I'd also suggest Talktalk. Again if they are attached to an exchange where Talktalk have installed their kit, then they could get broadband for about £17.75 (that's a Talktalk phone line and broadband at £6.49) a month, but there is a £30 connection charge.

All three of these providers are subject to a minimum term. IIRC Virgin is 12 months, O2 is also 12 months but I believe you can cancel early by paying £50 (although I'd double check first before ordering) and Talktalk is subject to an 18 month contract.

If they don't want to be stuck on a contract though, they may be worth looking at mobile broadband on Pay As You Go or a 1 month contract. Three now do a mobile broadband to wifi router with 5Gb monthly allowance at £15 a month on a 1 month contract (but a £70 router charge is required), or a wifi router with 3GB allowance on Pay As You Go (just top up when the 3GB is used) at £99.

Hope this all helps. As I say, if you can let us know their postcode then we can do a bit more looking into it.

Rob