Re: [LUG] Prioritizing DNS traffic

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> The traffic shaping (LARTC Howto) discuss prioritization. Basically if you
> configure the queue to build on the boxes interface you can choose to send
> whichever packet you like next.
>
> But you can only meaningfully shape traffic on outbound interfaces, so if by
> bandwidth being fully used you mean inbound you need to fix it at the other
> end.

No, I do mean outbound. I'm using a rather old business ADSL line
which is capped at about 40KB/s. I've had a go at setting the TOS
using iptables as described here
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.interactive-prio.html but I've
not seen any effect. Now I'm getting suspicious that this might be
because the machine has a fine connection to its next hob, which is a
gateway/router and which it shares with some other machines. It's at
the gateway that the traffic is capped. So am I right that this is
where I should play around with iptables rather than on my own
machine?

> Do you cache the DNS information locally? If not I'd start with that, since
> that will reduce traffic and improve performance.

I don't cache DNS information but then, I'm not doing the DNS lookups
myself, that's done by machines/programs I'm testing, so if they don't
do clever DNS lookups, then it's not up to me to fix it. Moreover,
most DNS lookups are lookups against DNSBLs, so lots of different
addresses all the time; I guess that even the most clever DNS-caching
would only half the amount of DNS lookups. (Whereas lookups of
www.google.com take 100 times as long when the outbound bandwidth is
fully used.)

As for wondershaper, does it do more than set the TOS using iptables?

Thanks.

Martijn.