Re: [LUG] Mint 6 and Mobile Broadband

alex mclennan wrote:
a bit off topic but, i checked out a friends laptop who had thought it was no good any more,and had done a fairly good job of destroying the hard drive. as i recall it was an acer,any way i took the hard drive out of my old vaio and put it in to check it,i could not stop laughing as it fired into life showing a big ubuntu screen so i let it run,expecting an explosion any second. to my surprise it went straight in and found the wireless drivers and works great.
can any one explain why or was i just lucky.
alex the not so noob
I'd put it down to the great hardware support on Linux. Of course it doesn't always go that easy (I found to my cost when upgrading a server from IDE to SATA drives), however I've found when it doesn't work like that, it's still a darn sight easier to transfer over than on a Windows machine (I did find though if doing a generic build of Windows to use across a multitude of machines, if you install the mass storage controllers for each type of machine then chances are unless it has a different HAL, it will boot into some sort of working state).

Rob