Re: [LUG] Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

Adrian Midgley wrote:
> 2009/9/28 Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx>>
>
>     On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 21:14 +0100, james kilty wrote:
>
>     This implication is that if you go and find some old hardware, bring it
>     into school (get it electrically tested :-) ) and then stick Linux on
>     it, Microsoft deserves to get some money. Huh??
>
> Looks like a bad contract.

It is probably unenforceable, as well as a restraint on trade. Back in
2007 Becta were taking issues with MS contract to the OFT, although I've
no idea what the outcome was Microsoft now have new licensing agreement
that don't include these terms.

Schools should of course ask for such insane clauses to be removed from
their contract. If Microsoft doesn't comply, then it is an indication of
imbalance in the establishment of the contract.