Re: [LUG] Linux Wireless Adapter

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:12:32 +0100
Steve Ellis wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a wireless adapter that will work on linux
> (preferably a pci card) for a desktop pc.
>
> I have looked on some of the manufacturer sites & they don't seem to
> be very forthcoming regarding linux support.
>
> My router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 so a Wireless G 54Mbps card is
> fine, it needs to support WPA.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Steve

Hi Steve,

There are many, many PCI WiFi cards available that will work with
Linux.  However some will require a "firmware" to be loaded as well as
a "module" (a module is a Linux driver) - this is all handled
seamlessly by the Windows and Mac drivers, but you may need a bit of
digging on Linux.

That is not to say this is the case for all WiFi cards under Linux,
only some.

Unfortunately Linux support for a device depends on the WiFi chip, not
the brand, and very few WiFi cards will say on the box which chip they
use.  For example, I have an old 802.11b LinkSys card floating around
with a BroadCom chip.  Nowhere on the box does it say it's a BroadCom.

Grant.