Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 21:32:26 +0100, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I guess everyone else on this list should have ADSL since there isn't much cable in Devon. What modems/routers do you use? How well do they work for you? Any debugging tips?

I've not had anything like the trouble you've had with adsl. I'm on cable atm but had adsl in london without much trouble. Maybe the infrastructure in devon is crap? Maybe you could try yelling at your ISP to check things at their end.

A friend of mine keeps raving about how great fritz!box routers are. Features-wise, all I can remember is that there is traffic shaping. Not sure if that's standard across the whole product line or not.

What do you do with your net? i've found that bittorrent upsets alot of routers. Most connection-relates problems I've had are due to bittorrent (or at least users of it) being too greedy and hogging the connection to themselves. I find with heavy torrenting, the ping time goes through the roof and eventually the router crashes. Maybe you could relieve the pressure on the connection a while and see if it's more reliable.

The main debugging tip i can think of is to try another router when you're having trouble.