Re: [LUG] gnucash mysql

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:14:19 +0100
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Having wasted half an afternoon trying to work out why my code to
> convert a GnuCash file to quicken didnt work (you can compress GnuCash
> files now)

... and gnucash doesn't change the filename to tell you it's
compressed ....

> I'd discovered you can store the data in a DB at last.

Only in v2.3.5 which is not yet in Debian (nor Ubuntu).
GnuCash 2.3.5 Release - 2009-08-29
gnucash (2.2.9-0.2)

> Has
> anyone tried this and are they nicely organised so one can do proper DB
> stuff on them without a GnuCash degree?

Unlikely. This will be the same basic structure as the existing objects
and you will need great care to maintain the metadata that
cross-references transactions and splits to accounts and entities if
you start messing with the SQL directly. The upstream announcement
hints that even just using gnucash to tinker with the data could cause
problems, so you could do untold damage by random SQL commands.

I've switched to using Grisbi, it's far easier.

--

Neil Williams