Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

george wrote:
I live in Brixham and before we went fully digital I had an aerial in the attic which gave reasonable reception, some breakup occasionally. I wanted a set in the kitchen so tried an old set top aerial which was no good at all. I toyed with various ways of getting another aerial feed but in the end decided to wait for switch-over. (When in doubt do nothing)

Since switch-over I have tried the set top aerial again with excellent results. Signal strength says about 85% and the picture has no break-up. I can now watch Come Dine With Me while cooking... er... perhaps not. I may keep this a secret from the wife.

George

Since the switchover the power on the transmitter at Beacon Hill was greatly increased which may explain it. Not to mention the local Brixham transmitter is now enabled for digital too (although I would guess if you were getting Freeview before the switchover then you're probably running off Beacon Hill).

As they say, if it's working then don't fix it.

In Chelston, Torquay we're getting pretty good reception, in fact it's no different to before on our TV's, the only difference I have found is that my Freeview card on the PC will not pick up the BBC muxes now, only the ITV/Channel5/Sky muxes. Before the switchover it would only pickup the BBC!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has found any cheap (around £10 to £15) USB Freeview sticks with work with Linux out of the box?

I've tried a Freecom stick but not had any luck with it and I'm loathed to spend nearly £50 on a stick when I could just buy a higher spec PCI card with Satellite and Freeview for not much more.

Rob