Re: [LUG] Twitter DDoS

Samuel Tarling wrote:
> You raise many good points, but I'd like to add that those who are
> arrested are individuals, not the complete groups they (may!) of
> belonged to.
> Anyway, http://blog.twitter.com/ says that they are almost all OK,
> just a bit worse for wear. I really wish the people (person) behind
> this would announce it, just to see where the "credit" goes.
> This person(s) must really hate social networking.... :/
>

>> Add in 46,000,000 twitter users hitting reload because it didn't load....
>>
>>> Thats why it took so long, the users of twitter were DDoSing the server by
>>> accident! :P
>>>
> It makes you think about the (in)security of web servers and such. Is
> there any real protection from DDoSs other than unplugging your server
> (or computer for that matter)?
>
> Hope this isn't another of those BBC things...where they took a botnet
> and stole people's information before telling them that they'd be
> infected.
>
> Sam.
> (Yeah, I user brackets ( ( ) ) too much)

One of the ironies of MS  pc crippling policies
(http://www.angryziber.com/w/FAQ:_Crippled_Windows)  may be that these
things are a bit harder for the Bots to do - thought they probably have
enuf sense to upload the patches...
I am wondering whether DDOS on twitter might actually be a social
service thing
Tom te tom te tom