Re: [LUG] http://xkcd.com/

Michael Mortimore wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:06:31 +0100, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> http://xkcd.com/ for today is spot on!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>
> Am I the only one that thinks flash should support smooth full screen
> video with linux rather than linux supporting smooth full screen video
> with flash?
>
> If mplayer and vlc and games can play full screen smoothly, then surely
> it's a bug in flash player...

I wasn't aware Flash couldn't play smoothly in full screen, I suspect
xkcd is using it as an example of the emphasis in Linux development
rather than as a particular truth.

Although I don't see much fullscreen video, all of Youtube and such
plays fine (or is network bandwidth limited) in full screen on my PC
with a bog standard motherboard video card and no acceleration.

However I observe that my old PC would play DVDs full screen, but
couldn't keep up with a small youtube clip. This is because it had
hardware support for mpeg-2 video (like many (most?) processors do!) but
that Flash video uses other codec's not so well supported in hardware
and software.

As a result we are burning more electricity than needed to decode
YouTube videos. Google could do us all a favour and provide it in
something better supported by the hardware.

Ideally folks would provide video in nice unencumbered formats, then we
could concentrate on providing hardware and software to play them well.
Rather than relying on the whims of Adobe.

We were speculating if Google have a plan for a flash player solution
for Google Chrome OS, otherwise I suspect (like the iPhone) YouTube
video will be provided in less awkward formats. I've already seen tools
to extract the iPhone version for folks who prefer to avoid flash.