Re: [LUG] Wireless was :Re: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!Wire

Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Sounds like pringles aerials required.
>>

> No it doesn't

I reserve the right never to use smilies!
> Everything you need for this sort of thing is off the shelf these days,
> and while it's fun to build, sometimes you want something that just works.

I know its off the shelf - but the prices always amaze me.
I mentioned helical aerials - as they should be dirt cheap - I seem to
remember from my radio telescope work that they could be made very
cheaply (using a small lathe to bend copper wire into a groove in a
plastic pipe. soldering the connector would take longer once your up and
running) and with the channels available to wireless....
You mentioned fresnel earlier in a slightly different context - never
could work out why fresnel focusing is not used instead of parabolic
reflectors...

> It does annoy me when people say thing like "just use a pringles can".
> It's obvious that they've never tried to build a commercial network out of
> them, nor had to deal with non line of sight communications.

I wouldn't even try to use wireless at these frequencies for non line of
sight - however a lot of non-commercial connections were made with
pringles aerials back Before Broad Band - possibly enough to scare BT
into enabling more exchanges.
> Incidentally this project went bust for several reasons - the cost of
> install was too high and BT ADSL enabled all the exchanges

I can see 'private' wireless internets becoming more popular as ISP's
are forced to interfere more.
Tom te tom te tom