Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> Yes, it’s perfectly possible; there’s no particular reason why you can’t
> run server software on a desktop (unlike Windows, where you often can’t
> because of licence stuff).

Not so in my experience. I've run IIS on Windows 2000 Pro quite happily
and as it's an internal component to Windows there are no licensing
issues. That was IIS3 and I believe the current incarnation (Vista et
al) is IIS 5.
> No, I wouldn’t particularly recommend it; for a start, ADSL is (as the
> name suggests) asynchronous — much, much more download than upload
> bandwidth, so actually serving a site is going to be quite slow and may
> also interfere with your normal usage.
Not forgetting your ISP's 'Fair Usage' policy. If they decide that (even
incoming) traffic to your IP is too heavy they might decide to clobber
you for it.

Kind regards,

Julian