Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | OLPC software to power aging PCs

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

> Quoting James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> tom wrote:
>>> While I thoroughly approve of the software I would hate to think you
>>> could just walk into a school/college and stick in a USB stick and do
>>> ANYTHING with it
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
>> On the other hand, the logical extension of this is perhaps that you
>> could have "your" entire computing environment stored on some sort of
>> "ultra-portable" storage and could then use any PC just as a source of
>> CPU cycles and connectivity.  To a limited extent it's probably possible
>> to do it already.
>>
>> There are obviously environments where it shouldn't be allowed, but in
>> the general case being able to walk up to any PC in the world and turn
>> it into your personal system just the same as you have it anywhere else
>> is a great concept.
>
> There are a number of Linux Distros out there aimed at "security
> professionals" that boot entirely from USB and the only record that
> they've been used is that the server has reboted.
>
> It's a very good way to lift data from a system.
>
> The only secure computer is ont that is switched off and sealed in concrete.

Some (most?) BIOSes offer protection against this - you can configure it
to only boot off the internal hard drive, (or PXE/Network) and to need
password to get into the BIOS settings to change this (and additionally a
password to boot it) I have worked for companies where this was mandatory
on laptops.

I suspect most people these days don't even bother with the BIOS settings
- another dieing art I fear...

Not much protection from someone taking the lid off though, but it's a
start...

Gordon