Re: [LUG] [OT] Libertarianism - was "Watching the results trickle in ..."

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 17:17, Ralph Smithen wrote:
> Seriously, though, where's the meat? What organisation would you,
> evidently an intelligent and liberty-loving man, want to join whose
> objectives are incompatible with those of the LP?
According to their constitution I cant be a member of another political party
which is fantastically restrictive to my mind. Its not just the LP - all
parties seem to have this clause - I was a member of a Conservative club as
they had the best snooker tables and of the Labour club as it had the best
and cheapest beer, and made the mistake of expressing an opinion at a meeting
and all hell was let loose. As you stated earlier in your post no one party
can hold my views - and if they wont let me look outside their limited views
( and you have to be a member of a party to be party to its real heart) then
its just like MS trying to stop me seeing how other software works. I
understand the political and legal ramifications of officers in a party
having dual party membership but to restrict people trying to find out  what
else their is available is a bit scientology! Or perhaps Groucho Marx redux -
I will not be a member of anything that stops me being a member of anything
else - especially something that claims to be interested in my freedom!

> > Similarly, if, by some miracle, MS produced a piece of software that I
> > thought was genuinly beneficial to humanity I might be tempted to use it
> > and recommend others do to!
>
> I'd be tempted, in the absence of an existing project, to reproduce
> its benefit in free software ;)
I don't think its a problem we'll come across in the near future.
Tom te tom te tom