Re: [LUG] Hard Drives and Networking

On Saturday 13 June 2009 23:17, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:31:08 +0100
>
> With regard to "domain controllers".  Essentially a Windows Active
> Directory Domain consists of LDAP with Kerberos... however, they seem to
> have been put together in a rather unholy manner by Microsoft (or at
> least I'm finding it a P.I.T.A trying to get Linux to auth against our
I've hear that MS went out of their way to ensure that AD was incompatible
with LDAP - why let a 300,000 user setup do all their security on two or
three linux boxes when you can sell them a whole MS server farm!
I've also hear that the work done to do this prevents AD expanding easily
-hence £16billion being wasted on the IT single sign on project.
> SBS2008 "domain controller").  This has been the case since Windows
> Server 2000.
>
> Windows NT, however, played by different rules.  SAMBA can act as an NT
> domain controller very nicely thank you, and Windows machines (even
> Vista) can "join" an NT/SAMBA domain without any problems.
I've heard that sine the samba group documented SMB MS now have an idea how it
works and have since added a couple of parameters to Vista that need to be
considered to make it work properly.

> With an "NT" style domain, however, you lose the ability to control
> things with "group policies" (which, despite the name, have little to
> do with the "security groups" you can create in an Active Directory
> domain).
You can do local group policies - not sure exactly how they compare though.
Tom te tom te tom