Re: [LUG] A video card? (Or two)

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:44:56 +0100
Adrian Midgley wrote:

> My Matrox G550 twin head card is unable to drive some modern screens,
> and I think doesn't have the picture=processing power I'd like, it
> lags.
>
> What is a good card to put in, not for fast video or gaming or
> augmented reality or anything complicated, just to edit photos in the
> gimp and do general purplose computing?
>
> The machine has an ATI chipset built in which also knows nothing of
> the 1680x1050 resolution I want to use.
>
> Ideally I'd like to run two of them, and the slots available are PCI
> Express (PCI-E 8 lane) and PC164 66MHz PCI132 33MHz and PCI-X 100MHz
>
> (I suppose there must be some way of putting an adapter into one of
> those slots and then plugging two of something into that, but that may
> be more trouble than I want.)

Is the Matrox really incapable or doing this, or is Xorg just being a
PITA to setup?  Just had a quick peek at it and the G550 seems like an
OK card - certainly it seem like it should be more powerful than my
GeForce 2 MX (or whatever it's called... fairly old now) which sits
happily at anything I throw at it although usually sitting at
1600x1200.

Grant.