Re: [LUG] Vodafone mobile broadband

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Steve Lee wrote:
>

>> 2009/6/4 dave <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> If you are one the move forget it. I've had great difficulty getting any
>>> sort of service on a moving train. "Mobile" in this context seems to
>>> mean that you can be anywhere, not that you can be moving.
>>>
>> ditto my T-Mobile dongle
>>

> Actually had reasonable results on O2 - but GPRS only, however on the last
> train journey I made (London to Totnes) I observed that the mobile base
> stations follow the road and not the railway line.
>
> Ironic when they're discouraging mobile use when driving...
>
> Anyone go to the county show? I was there on Friday. Almost impossible to
> get an O2 GPRS data connection, and when I did, it was slower than a 300
> bored modem )-:
>
> Gordon

Nope not been this year.  Last year when I was working at Gemini we used
a Three pay as you go modem attached to an old Dell laptop running
Xubuntu (the boss didn't even realize it wasn't Windows!).  Worked at
charm giving near broadband speeds.  That was though when the modems
were still a little bit pricey so I guess there wasn't as many people
using them.  I don't see though why they can't provide some sort of
blanket wireless maybe for a fixed fee for the day (I know they do have
wireless in the exhibition hall).

Rob