Re: [LUG] Accessing C: drive from Jaunty

michael graaf wrote:
> Greetings from a chronic lurker -
>
> I recently converted an XP box to dual-boot with Jaunty, after which
> any attempt to boot into Windows abort saying "file \system32\hal.dll
> missing or corrupt". Google reveals a thread in Ubuntu Forum
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7279426#post7279426) which
> fits the case:
>
> "...as you installed Ubuntu, ... the actual partition location of the
> windows boot disk has moved. Thus the windows boot loader cannot find
> hal.dll on the right hard drive partition... One cool thing to think
> about here is that grub, the Linux boot loader is working and knows
> where the windows boot partition is... the way to fix this problem is
> to boot up into Linux, 7.10 or better and this product automounts the
> various windows partitions... open a terminal and you will find these
> various hard drive partitions in the directory /media. One of these
> will have a lot of "window dressing", say for instance, a directory
> called Windows or WINDOWS (depends :^). In the root of this directory
> you will find a file called boot.ini..."[the writer describes remedial
> steps]
>
> So after years as a GUI-only Ubuntero, I plunged into a terminal and
> was promptly stumped by:
> "/media$ vdir
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    6 2009-05-04 15:51 cdrom -> cdrom0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-05-04 15:51 cdrom0"
The /media directory only contains a link to cdrom0

Usually hard drive partitions will appear to Linux ad /dev/hda or
/dev/sda devices

try cat'ing the fstab with "cat /etc/fstab" to show lists of filesystems
that may be mountable

alternatively try cat'ing the boot menu file, try "cat /boot/menu.lst"
or "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst"