Re: [LUG] How does MailMan send?

Hello,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 03:15:50PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> >2009/5/11 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>Does it then
> >>send this out, one email per subscribed user?  So the more subscribed
> >>users the more individual emails are sent?  Or does it work another way?
> >
> >Basically yes, that's exactly what it does.
>
> I'm not sure it does, but I don't know the innards of mailman... However I
> do run many majordomo style mailing lists and manage a few other "bulk"
> mailing systems...
>
> There is an optimisation you can make when sending email, as long as
> you're sending an identical message to every subscriber (which majordomo
> does and mailman seems to do to)

With Mailman it depends on settings.  Usually you want to use VERP
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VERP) in order to encode the
recipient's email address into the return path.  That way, if a bounce
is generated the mailing list software is able to work out which
subscriber has the undeliverable address.

This can be turned off if the messages are otherwise identical (no
personalised footer etc.).

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB