Re: [LUG] How does MailMan send?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009 19:33:39 +0100
>
> The current setup doesn't include Mailman.  The mail in question is
> generated by PHP and the contents are passed to the Linux "mail"
> command.  We are trying to make the process as streamlined as possible,
> hence the inclusion of some software that's been written specifically
> for mass-mailing.

Yes, but you want to understand the bottleneck is, since otherwise
you'll just hit it with more force.

My guess is queue performance.

Linux "mail" command ?

The PHP mail function, or the BSD util? I'm guessing if the later than
using the MTA sendmail interface will be substantially more efficient
(/usr/lib/sendmail) or just talking to the MTA on port 25 (which I
believe PHP offers as an option).

Don't ask me about VERP - you want it - but it is always slightly harder
to get right that you think it could possibly be.