Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One's going cheap - trying to gauge interest

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

A supplier of mine who deals in refurbished Acer notebooks as just
e-mailed me with a mailshot and they have a supply of Acer Aspire One
netbooks on sale.  They have 3 months warranty and usually come in brown
boxes.  Looking at the prices they work out at £140 each including VAT
for the base model (Aspire One A110, 1.6GHz Atom, Intel GMA950 Video
Card, 54 meg wireless, 8GB SSD, 512MB Ram and Linux) or £175 each
including VAT for the higher spec model (Aspire One A150, 1.6GHz Atom,
Intel GMA950 Video Card, 54 meg wireless, 120GB Hard drive, 1GB Ram and
Linux).

They have a few of each model left but I'm not sure how quickly they go,
I just wondered if anyone might possibly be interested?

Myself and wifey are running Debian Lenny on ours - 8GB flash, 512MB RAM. Works well.

It is hard to get more than 2- 2-1/4 hours out of the battery though if you're on Wi-Fi and I'm not sure you can actually turn wi-fi off under Linux (yet?)

One GB of RAM would be nice, but restarting firefox every few days is just as effective! (We use hibernate on them and rarely reboot now)

So if you've got the dosh - go for it :)

Gordon