Re: [LUG] Screen shot with emails

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have taken some screen shots via the PrtScn button, which brings up
> KSnapshot. This worked well. Now I need to include them in an attachment
> in an email.
>
> I have looked at the files of the screenshots and they are not very big,
>  ranging from 31 to 94 Kb. I have included two of them in a letter
> which was created in Open Office Writer and saved as a doc file. All the
> intended recipients will, no doubt, be using Windows.
>
> The resulting doc file is 2.9 Mb, which surprised me, and the email with
> the attached file takes ages to send. (I tested it by sending it to myself.)

The email will be bigger by about one third when it's converted into
base64 to be sent as an attachment. 4MB at 440Kb/sec ADSL speeds will take
about 1.5 minutes to send up an ADSL line to the mail relay...

> There must be a better way to do this. Can anyone suggest how I could do
> this in a way that will result in a smaller file which can still be read
> by anyone using any OS and which will be quick to send?

Convert the images to JPG with a quality factor of about 75%. Use Gimp to
visually check the image quality as you do the conversion and see if that
makes a difference, but maybe .DOC has some weirdness when you include
images anyway and this might not help. (Maybe it has an internal format
that's 'verbose')

You could email the images separately, or stick them on a website and
provide links to them

Gordon