Re: [LUG] Warning - Any Mandriva Users Out There!!! A Rant.

On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:22:32 +0100
Vivi Griffin <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Vivi,

What Gordon says is sage advice, but a little further info;

> I also use an HP PSC 1510 printer / scanner, using HPLIP.

HPLIP is available in Debian.  It's currently broken (in testing, at
least) but a fix is on the way.

> Also, I like to watch the news and, occasionally BBC IPlayer.

You'll need to install stuff from the debian-multimedia.org
repositories;  http://www.debian-multimedia.org

The stuff there aren't included in the normal Debian repos because of
certain issues regarding freedom (Debian has a *very* strict list of
criteria regarding what is, and isn't, free software).  Even ordinary
DVDs won't play under Debian "out of the box", because of the legality
(or otherwise) of libdvdcss under certain legislations.  It can mean
that, sometimes Debian's package management system  will attempt to
remove a package you have installed because it falls foul of the Debian
Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).  Although that, IME, is rare.  If you
can't live with that, Debian probably isn't for you.

Having said that, once Debian is set up to your liking, you *never* have
to perform "installs" to upgrade as you do with Mandriva, etc, just
perform a weekly update for bug and/or security fixes, etc.

--
 Regards  _

Bet you thought you had it all worked out
Problem - Sex Pistols