Re: [LUG] BIOS upgrade

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Friday 01 May 2009 11:37, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Tom Potts wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to upgrade the bios on an old asus board and it seems to
>>> require an old dos boot disk! Anyone know how to make one in this day and
>>> age?? Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> This might help...
>>
>> http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos
>> -windows-no-floppy-drive.html
>>
>> It guides you through downloading a FreeDOS disk image which you can
>> mount as a loopback image and then if you haven't got a floppy drive you
>> can create a bootable CD image to burn to CD (I guess a CDRW would be
>> handy for this, seems a bit of a waste of a CD-R just for a single use).
>>
> They're cheaper than floppies - I've just blown about£2.20 worth of floppies
> cos nothing seems to write safely to my floppy drives anymore ! Cant seem to
> write the boot sector properly - everything else works......
> Will give this a spin!
> Tom te tom te tom

Ahh yeah that is the problem, I've got upteen floppy drives and none of
them work (IIRC I also have an LS-120 somewhere in the loft).  The only
drive I do have that works is in the other half's PC.  God knows why she
wanted one.

Another way of doing it is to put the floppy image onto a USB stick (or
other mass storage device) and then use SYSLINUX to boot the image with
memdisk.  I used to do this at one of the places I worked at where they
had about 5 different models of Dell PC which often had various
different revisions of BIOS.  It was handy enough to just stick the
different BIOS versions on in different disk images and I could select
which image to boot from (assuming that the machine would support USB
booting, which IIRC they all did).

Rob