Re: [LUG] C++ Questions?

On Thursday 19 March 2009 11:55, Anthony Williams wrote:
> database. Adding unused arguments is over-engineering, and makes the
I add unused arguments so that when the interface requirements change
(normally due to management changes in requirement that you told them they
would need but didnt want then....) theres not too much disruption.
I can change the SP to use those extra params without affecting the gui and
then modify the gui later.
> code harder to understand. It's also not always ideal to define your
> interfaces at the start of the project; I've found that the desired
> interface often only becomes clear towards the end of the project.
> Using stored procedures also ties you to the particular RDBMS system
> you started with --- if you use alternative client-server call
> mechanisms then you can change the backend from MySQL to Oracle
> without touching the GUI, for example.
I use them precisely BECAUSE they free me from using a particular RDBMS.
I've written stuff that worked on MySql,Sql Server 5.5/6.5, postgres and
another large one whos name escapes me at the moment and the only change on
the GUI side was a small configuration file which said whether the SP was
called or executed etc.
If one thing changes you only want to change one file if you can manage it.
Laziness is the mother of invention.
Tom te tom te tom