Re: [LUG] OLPC urges Microsoft to port Windows 7 to ARM

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> We need a distro that's nicely tuned to the platform, but for that, we
> need the makers to actually employ someone to produce that distro tuned
> and installed on the platform - or a "recovery" disk that will just do a
> block-copy of an install.

Doesn't need to be the makers. Anyone who can get the money - the OFSET
CD was a good example although not hardware specific.

But I think this is an Achilles heel for traditional proprietary software.

For Free Software some pharmacist in his spare room can port thousands
of applications to a new platform as a side effect of getting the ones
he wants, where as if Microsoft introduce a new platform they need
thousands of ISV to co-operate to make the same thing happen.

Here it is interesting that web applications are coming to the for, as
all you need is to port a browser, or build an app which is 90% browser.
Witness the proliferation of such on the iPhone - some nice apps but a
lot of them are either trivial, or are relying heavily on existing
server side code.

The future is thin client versus freedom.