Re: [LUG] Arghhh! I keep killing motherboards...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> OK, I have just moved and taken my computer set-up plus about four other
>> boards I have aquired along the way. I set up the board that I was
>> using...nothing. I set up one of the other random boards and it posts but
>> doesn't load the OS so I try to hook a CD ROM up to the system and it kills
>> it....The same thing happens with another board with a different CD drive as
>> I thought it was the drive that killed it.
>>   Adding a CD drive to an IDE cable shouldn't stop a Motherboard from
>> working, should it?...what's going wrong here? Ahh! I've turned into a
>> computer killer!!!
>>

> You can get weird things happening if you plug in IDE cables the wrong way
> round - which, despite the identifying lugs and pins is still possible to
> do...
>
> Gordon

IIRC ASUS boards had a habit of non conformance with regard to IDE
cables and there fitment, failing the IDE cable being the wrong way
round I would swap out the PSU for a new one or one known to be good -
I've had to reflash several Gigabyte boards because the BIOS has been
canned by dodgy PSU - Get yourself a UPS with line conditioning built in
- I had one customer who went thru 4 motherboards because of really bad
brownouts and after fitting an UPS(made by APC) they had no problems in
the last 3 years.

Dave