Re: [LUG] Linux not catching on

Paul Sutton wrote:
>> That's not a bad idea.  Maybe we could look at leaving some of the
>> DCGLUG open discs at the cafe too in return for a bit of free
>> advertising on the disc.
>>

> Well we have a set of flyers at the cafe, i think as long as we get a
> good turn out at meetings,  then it will work out really well for them
> in that respect.
>
>  Does the Shortline Cafe have a web site?
>
> Paigntonbeach.com, (its on the wiki anyway)  they are happy to advertise
> our events on the website.

Cool I'll check it out.
>>> I agree given the current situation in schools re funding,  we can do
>>> something to help,  but its getting to talk to the right people that is
>>> the hard part,
>>>

>> Yep, I get the feeling in smaller schools (Primaries etc) they are
>> largely reliant on the teachers for support and if they're lucky maybe a
>> local school technician once a fortnight.
>>

> I have contacted someone about this, as a few torbay schools don't have
> websites,  so have offered to help out,   Thing is I can't do it for
> free.  Have we got any contacts for primary schools in torbay ?
>
> Paul

Nope, I have a list of contacts for community centres but not schools.
Didn't you say you did something with Paignton Community College?  Maybe
they could put you in touch with someone at the council?

With regards to web sites, if we could get funding for a hosting account
(or maybe if someone who possibly has a co-located server could spare
some bandwidth, web space and a database) we could maybe look at
offering web sites either free or cheap?

I'd like to get another OpenDevon site up and running although my web
hosting provider don't provide MySQL databases on the package I'm on
(although they give me 30GB's of bandwidth and 2GB space which I don't
really use!).

Rob