Re: [LUG] Microsoft to kill off Equipt

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just seen this on The Register...
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/18/equipt_kill_date_confirmed/
>>
>> As rumoured, it looks like Microsoft are killing off their subscription
>> services for things like MS Onecare and Office 2007 Home and Student.
>>  From the article...
>>
>> "It confirmed that Office Home and Student 2007 won’t receive
>> subscription licence updates and will enter “reduced functionality
>> mode”. Effectively customers will only be able to view Office documents,
>> but they won’t be able to create or edit docs via the service."
>>
>> So, all those poor saps who bought a PC and were 'upsold' cheaper
>> 'subscription' versions of MS Office 2007 Home and Student editions will
>> be effectively left with a bloated Office viewer.
>>
>>  From what I gather though it only covers the subscription versions of
>> the software which were about £50 rather than the £100 version. Still,
>> I'd hate to be one of the poor folks who bought this 'cheap' Office 2007.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Looking at this its only the actual customers of equip that are affected,
>
> anyway the other articles seem far more interesting
>
> charged for downgrade to XP
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/16/microsoft_sued_over_vista_to_xp_downgrade/
>
> also seems that going from vista to win 7 will be easier,  going from xp
> to win 7 won't (so all those who have opted for xp rather than vista,
> are required to reformat hdd
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/05/windows_xp_7_vista_upgrade/
>

> the latter does help us in a way thanks to wubi people can perhaps go
> fron xp to ubuntu and or linux much easier,
>

> Paul

Having done upgrades from Windows 3.1 to 95, 95 to 98 and 98 to XP I
certainly would prefer the reinstall option.  Luckily the Transfer Files
& Settings wizard is actually pretty good and helps transfer the
documents over although if anything goes wrong you're basically
screwed.  I think what Microsoft should offer is the option to install
Windows 7 alongside XP, transfer the files and settings over and when
the user is happy have the option to automatically remove the old copy
of Windows and re-size the hard drive.  Chances are though being
Microsoft they won't do that.

I do wonder though how many people who run XP would actually pay the
£150 or whatever it costs for a Windows upgrade (I remember when it was
about £70) and how many will just dump their old PC (or maybe pass it
along to a relative/use it as a second PC etc) and just buy a new PC
with Windows 7 preinstalled (with all the usual bloatware that
manufacturers seem to stick on the machines these days).

That's not to say that we might not be able to resurrect some of these
old PCs.

Rob

Rob