Re: [LUG] UKFSN problems

On Friday 13 February 2009, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Quoting Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > It seems that I can knock around 40% off my monthly bill by moving to
> > Virgin cable (or fibre as they call it), and hopefully get a faster
> > connection too.
> >
> > For back-up I am thinking of putting a mobile broadband dongle up in the
> > roof space, where I hope I can get a better signal. I could control it
> > from a spare
> > gumstix, with power over ethernet. I can PXE boot the gumstix, and NFS
> > mount the rootfs, to control the whole system from my server.
> >
> > I would prefer a fixed IP address, which Virgin won't do. But I can
> > always use
> > DynDNS, which would also cope with the occasional use of a mobile backup
> > connection.
> >
> > What could possibly go wrong?
> >
> > Better would be connection sharing between neighbours. Has anyone tried
> > this?
>
> Hi David,
>
> I've been following this thread with interest as I'm about to change
> my service provider as well.
>
> I've been looking at DST (http://www.directsavetelecom.co.uk/) who
> provide 8M Broadband with a 20G monthly limit between 6pm and midnight
> and unlimited d/l outside these hours as well as all 01,02 and 03
> calls for £19.52pcm as well as a 4 port router (don't know which
> make/model and it sounds like you wouldn't need one anyway) and there
> is the option for a free static IP. (more info at
> http://tinyurl.com/atv7cj ).
>
> As far as sharing a neighbours connection is concerned, it's certainly
> do-able (although I've never done it), just check out the multiple
> routing part of the Linux Advanced Routing Howto (
> http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html ) you would
> simply set your connection to Provider1 and your neighbour's to
> Provider2.
>
> Hope this is of some help,
>
> Matt.
>
> --
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
> matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.truthisfreedom.org.uk/

Hi Matt,

Ive been on that deal from DST for a couple of years now.  It's certainly
cheap but not the greatest of services.  I'm about a mile from the exchange
in Brixham and the best I usually get is less than 2 Mb.  At times it is
pretty dire, say from 4 to 6 pm when everyone comes home and logs on, often
less than 100Kb.  There again, my wife spends hours on the phone, mostly long
distance due to 4 scattered kids, northern family and a wandering life and
the unlimited calls included are a good deal and broadband isn't mission
critical to me.  I was going to try TalkTalk who have an LLU setup in Brixham
but they don't include calls to Jersey where we have a daughter.

George