Re: [LUG] [ubuntu-uk] computer fairs

On 10/02/2009 11:37, Subscriptions wrote:

>> Actually, doing our own is a good idea. There is loads of stuff in Phil's
>> workshop (the garage) that I could set up a stall with. Additionally, there are
>> loads of computer shops round here that are probably suffering as a result of the
>> recession and would only be too glad to participate. The people / companies that
>> participate in the South East ones won't probably be too keen coming to us as a
>> extra fuel / accommodation costs would eat into their profits. Stall holders pay
>> for their stall and people who attend pay a small entrance fee. The Kent ones
>> used to charge about £3.00, I think.
>>
>> Viv

Well maybe it's something we should look into further.  Not sure how
much insurance for such an event would cost, Tom B might be able to
advise a bit better as he sorted out the insurance for the Software
Freedom Day event.  I'm not sure if it goes on how many visitors turn up
or what.

Then there's the cost of hiring the venue, I presume if we used
somewhere like the Exwick Community Centre or a local village hall it
wouldn't be astronomical. If I remember correctly the computer fairs in
Derby used to charge about £60 per table and about £30 for each
additional table and entry fee was as you say about £3.

So maybe if it cost £50 for insurance (this is a wild guess) and £50 for
the room hire, maybe we could get away with charging £15 per table and
£1 entry for adults and maybe free for under 16's and consessions.  I
dare say we'd possibly cover our costs and make a little bit extra which
I dunno, could possibly be put back into the LUG for funding things like
event hire and things like maybe duplicating copies of the OpenDisc and
advertising?

Just a thought anyway.  I'll drop Trevor at Exwick an e-mail and see how
much he would normally charge for the main hall hire.

Rob