Re: [LUG] netbooks blamed for microsoft losing money

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Anthony Lane wrote:

> The acer aspire one with Linpus Lite is even worse though - why on earth
> they couldn't have just used ubuntu netbook or something I'll never know

Because they're not trying to sell it to us geeks. Us geeks will buy it
no-matter what OS is on it, then we'll put out own on it, but Jane random
office worker won't.

Linpus Lite actually worked OK for my wife. It let her do what she needed
to do - web browse, write a few short documents, upload her phone & camera
photos. The only reason I changed it was because it was a bit unstable. It
kept losing the network settings program for some odd reason - I suspect a
bug somewhere.

So what's wrong with that? Acer are trying to sell tools, not geek toys. I
think they did a good job for a first attempt, and it was brave of them to
provide something so unlike the XP interface., but I do think they'll do
better if they provide something that's familiar to people who use XP -
such as a nice configuration for xfce for example. Time will tell.

Now if someone can tell me how to put max-height buttons and max-width
buttons on my windows under xfce, I'd migrate my workstation over to it
today, and leave 16 years of fvwm behind...

Gordon