Re: [LUG] effectiveness of shop window advertising

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

> How effective is shop window advertising,  as a lot of shops allow
> people to place small ads in the window,  just thought it would be an
> idea to perhaps create a few small ubuntu or related ads and blitz a few
> shops in one area,  to see if we can get the message out there.

I sold a car once via a shop-window ad... then the next car didn't sell
after a couple od shop window ads, but did sell baed on ads placed in the
back windows of said car!!! (That was the Merc I think I mentioned here
recently - but Dec/Jan really was the wrong time to sell, and I eventually
accepted way under what I wanted just to get rid of it)

With regards to Windoze vs. something else... I'd suggest finding out what
your average punter actually wants - 99.999% of PCs come with windoze
installed and the people buying them aren't going to want to go through
the hassle of trying to get the license fee back, but if you then target
older PCs to give them a new lease of life, will you be expected to
support them? I think it's still a tough nut to crack - even getting my
wife converted is hard and she has a pet geek to call on!

However only by letting people know that there is an alternative will the
word be spread!

Gordon