Re: [LUG] re-install

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Can i re-install ubuntu without reformatting the hard drive its on,

Yes

> so in effect a working config replaces what ever is broken.

That wouldn't seem to offer any advantage over formatting and
reinstalling to me.

> either that if I reinstall fully, i.e format the drive that its
> installed to, what will happen to stuff like the gpg configuration
> (/home is not on a different partition),  I am guessing all this will be
> preserved,  including how thunderbird is set up, to use enigmail.

Backup /home first as a minimum.

But I think installing over should be fine in that regard.

> reinstal + formatting is a last resort,  but I am really stuck with
> getting flash drives etc to simply auto mount and display on the desktop
> once mounted.

It isn't a complicated process, although it had changed a fair bit
between versions of GNOME/KDE and Linux, mostly with the layer that
presents the hardware to the desktop being rewritten over time.

If it isn't working in GNOME or KDE, I'd suggest either:

 The hotplugging isn't working - usually reading kern.log is enough.

 Something else is interfering with the mount.

 gnome-volume-manager isn't installed

Did you fiddle with /etc/fstab or other automount config files?

Did you fiddle with hardware layer, or kernel modules?