Re: [LUG] rural wifi, was forum?

On 30/01/2009 13:10, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Quoting Tom Potts<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> There was group set up to try and provide wireless networking - had designs
>> for all sorts of pringle packet aerials that were surprisingly good over a
>> few Km - but this was in the days that isdn was a trouser wetter for any true
>> geek.
>>

> http://www.bristolwireless.net/<- these guys know what they're doing! :o)
>
> M.

When I was living in Derby the Derby LUG setup some sort of wireless
mesh network.  Not sure how well it worked as I didn't have any wireless
kit and left Derby shortly afterwards.

Judging by Gordon's comments, maybe a commercial venture these days
wouldn't be much good but maybe it's something we could look into to
provide wifi access to certain areas.  Couple this with a mobile LTSP
kit and we could run things like internet tents :-)

Or maybe I'm just letting the geek in me get too enthusiastic.  I would
be interested in playing with this sort of kit though, I doubt though
I'd get very good line of site where I live.

Rob